Friday, September 12, 2008

DEATH

Just recently a woman who I admire so much died. For me, she lived a full life. I am sad she died but also glad that she is now in God’s glory united with her love ones who went ahead of her.

I attended one of the nightly services and the sermon reminded to look seriously at death but at the same time look at it in its positive side. I agree with the minister who shared. Aside from being humorous, his ideas are very liberating and reminded me to take another look at death, with a smile and not of fear.

Many if not most are afraid or evade discussing about death. But if one died in the Lord, there is no need of being afraid to die. “Blessed are the dead” as he said. He mentioned that death is a transition. It is of being absent in the physical body and being present with our Lord in heaven. He also said that death is a change of residence. Of being transferred to a better place than where we are now. And when you will get there, you won’t be disappointed. Surely who would be disappointed when all you see is sparkling gems around you, with the people you love (even those you don’t!), and much more being with our Lord for eternity! We are just sojourners here on earth with a permanent residence in heaven. Ika nga “our citizenship is in heaven”. Also, death releases us from all of our earthly pains and troubles. As a song goes…”no more pain, no more tears, never crying again, we’ll sing praises to the Great I am! We will live in the light of our Risen Lord!” (Hmmm…parang dinadaan na lang sa kanta a?hehege.)

So make sure that you have a passport/visa in going to heaven. Be sure that you
are in the Lord before you go so that you will have easy entry! So we can boldy
say “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” (1 Cor. 15:55,NIV)


As I was writing, I was reminded of a song I usually hear in the airwaves about a child asking his father about heaven. “When we get there can I taste the milky way? Are we going there to visit or there to stay? Can I ask God to send an angel to bring rain into the earth?” These may not be the exact words but to that effect. hehe. (kinakanta na nga yata lahat!hehe..)

No comments: